Tuesday 13 March 2018

March 15th 2018

March 15th blog

I have started to create a new video, the idea is this:

I would like to create an experimental film as a response to my video History as Personal Memory that would be played right next to this film (Jean Marie and I discussed that this will be decided once the second film is finished. I only mention this because I am currently not focussing on the sound of the second video). I would like to experiment with overlaying images of Berlin, current and historic, my own memories and German collective memory and mix them with film images from my childhood which I am currently putting on digital film. I am currently viewing and editing 4 hours of old film material, by a friend of my family to see if I can find some images of myself in my childhood.

One further element in this video would be text quotes by Foucault which I will be writing on actual 16 mm film material during my video course. Then I would film my projected text and put those images of the projected text on top of the images of my film. I will hopefully be able to do that projection with a 16mm projector onto a green screen during the next two weeks in my video course. This new video would be strictly showing images in a fast speed and using overlay and maybe other technical possibilities which I am about to figure out currently…….

Other material I have found in archives (and are public domain) are, for example, images of bombardments of the London Blitz, Nazi rallies, images of high ranking Nazis at the Nuremberg Trial, Dresden, historic material of Berlin of the 1920s. Here is a first minute, just go give you an idea: https://vimeo.com/259068120 password it ti18

In my video class we have been analyzing videos by artists such as David Lynch (Rabbit), Paul Pfeiffer, Sean Quigley, Natasha Kahn, Joseph Kahlil, Dallas Green/City an Colour, and others.

My month-long exhibition History as Personal Memory in Victoria closed on March 12th and it was an outstanding (in the sense of unusual) experience. Never have I shown more personal work before. I must say I was extremely stressed and nervous before my artist talk on February 16th. I can say that the experience of talking about the work was more positive than I thought. The feedback I received to my talk was overwhelming and very supportive. As I said in my essay, I discovered that by articulating my memories in my work, by stating the facts aloud in my films and by writing the words that describe my trauma directly on my paintings, I realized I can take myself more seriously and that have gained more confidence. As I said in the response to my advisor meeting with Andrew, I yet need to discuss where the viewer is in all of this.

I am currently working on my project report / book History as Personal Memory and will hand in a first draft in the next few days.

Here are two new paintings I am currently working on

1.     Lieber Gott, wo bist du?




I am not sure about this one yet. In contrast to other paintings which I started with tar and then responded with text, this one started with text (with a really nice oil very black wood stove paint). It is hard to think about composition when the work is so ‘loaded’ with the meaning the piece has for me. I need to let this sit for a couple of weeks to decide.


2.     Sometimes the child is silenced by violence or a direct threat of murder






They are both 8 by 11.5 feet big
Tar, oil, acrylic, charcoal





No comments:

Post a Comment