Monday 5 March 2018

Advisor meeting with Jean Marie, March 5th

My advisor meeting with Jean Marie on March 5th, 2018

First we talked about the video that I had just reedited and we decided to let it sit until I have put together a draft for the second video. Once I have created that second video we will decide if it should be shown side by side to my History as Personal Memory video or if it is a separate film. I want to experiment with video further and with this new video would like to create a piece with many layers of images on top of each other representing my memories and German collective memory. One of the elements in this video would be text quotes by Foucault which I will be writing on actual film material during my video course. Then I would film my projected text and put those images on top of my film. I will hopefully be able to do that during the next two weeks in my video course.

Then we talked about my project report/catalogue, which Jean Marie encouraged me to call ‘book’ from now on. She said it ‘looks great’. We agreed that it has the guidelines of a thesis paper. I said that it would be hard to create a ‘formal’ format with a conclusion. What is the conclusion of coming out with sexual childhood experiences? And we agreed that I could write a paragraph, an ‘inconclusive’ conclusion, ‘how does one write a conclusion to this’.

We also discussed to let go of the ‘Meanwhile in LalaLand’ part.

Three weeks ago, I had made copies for the exhibition my video and paintings are currently shown. The gallery has asked for more copies and I think so far I have printed about 45 copies for the exhibition. Jean Marie suggested that I get it in print for the exhibition in Berlin. I think the most affordable way will be to have it printed in Berlin and distribute my book at the exhibition, as one means to disseminate my work. I will post a pdf of the updated book on my blog on March 15th.

We discussed our common themes with Malvina and I told Jean Marie that Malvina and I will continue to discuss our work more intensively as of the beginning of April, when Malvina will have more new work that is relating to lost memories. Jean Marie suggested that one important theme between Malvina and me is mapping/ mapping the body/mapping history etc.

We agreed to meet again in about 4 – 6 weeks. I will try to send a first presentable draft of my new video in about 2 to 3 weeks.

Thank you Jean Marie for your time and your feedback to my work! It was great and very helpful to know what you thought about my writing. Thank you!


All the best for all your exhibitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment